Organizing events without being paid on H4 visa

surabhisinha

Hi, I am on H4 visa and I know that I cannot be paid for any work I do here.

My question is, "Can i openly organize musical programs which involves performers traveling from overseas to perform here? I will not be a part of any organisation or get paid. A relative will be encashing the cheque for her services involved in organizing the performers from India. I will simply be the organizer, volunteer to contact sponsors and organizers here."

Thank you

This looks like a ploy to just avoid payment, with a relative cashing the checks.

That is not allowed.

Only real, honest to goodness volunteering, without money involved at all, would be allowed, and then also only for non-profit organizations where everybody else in similar positions volunteers.

I think you are getting this all wrong. This is no ploy. Artists of international fame are involved and I am not calling anyone illegally. Please do not judge before knowing the whole truth. I am here for a professional opinion and not random nonsense. As per H4 rules if someone on this visa has bank transactions in another country that is also under US surveillance, I am not doing this for myself. Henceforth, I request non-lawyers to stay off this post.

thanks

I think you are getting this all wrong. This is no ploy. Artists of international fame are involved and I am not calling anyone illegally. Please do not judge before knowing the whole truth. I am here for a professional opinion and not random nonsense. As per H4 rules if someone on this visa has bank transactions in another country that is also under US surveillance, I am not doing this for myself. Henceforth, I request non-lawyers to stay off this post.

thanks

This is a public forum.

If you want a lawyer's advice, you'd have to pay for it.

The scheme looks like abuse. It is NOT NOT NOT allowed. Period.

Henceforth, I request non-lawyers to stay off this post.

While attorneys do post general statements regarding applicable law, this is an Internet forum whose vast majority of members are not lawyers, and thus is not an venue for getting legal advice. Respectfully, if you want legal advice you need to consult privately with an attorney and pay for his / her time.

Ok, I get it. I thought I will get a proper response to my queries here. The intention was not to insult responses. Why do people always assume that others are being deceitful!! I would not use a public forum to say Im trying to do illegal stuff!! I want to do voluntary work here and just wanted to know if I dont get paid is it ok? I guess I will have to take my qurey elsewhere. Thank you all for taking out time to respond though.

Ok, I get it. I thought I will get a proper response to my queries here. The intention was not to insult responses. Why do people always assume that others are being deceitful!! I would not use a public forum to say Im trying to do illegal stuff!! I want to do voluntary work here and just wanted to know if I dont get paid is it ok?

We told you that it is not ok.

Only after that did you start to insult people. Again, it is not ok.

You know, I've been insulted by people who signed up with shady diploma mills, for warning them and telling them to get out of there.

That went on right until the diploma mill got raided...

So, from experience, it is clear that somebody who doesn't like an answer and then starts to insult the posters is up to shady things.

Once more: you can not do what you try to do. It would be illegal.

Archived