Medical in Ciudad Juarez Required for Tijuana Approval - Need Help

forthiola

Just received a 221g form after Tijuana H1-B stamping telling me I require a medical evaluation at one of two locations in Ciudad Juarez before they can approve my H1-B.

Do I have to go to Ciudad Juarez? Is there anywhere safer and that I can go to receive an approved medical? Surely there must be somewhere that meets US Federal standards within the USA?

What should I do???

• 9 months later...

Sorry for not replying to this post at the time. I was going through a very stressful and traumatic experience.

I originally went to Tijuana as a 3rd party national (Im originally from the UK) to get my visa stamped as I had successfully done so before for a H1-B. This time was different though because they now make you apply there in two stages. Day one, you verify documents. Day 2 you do the interview etc, then day 3 you go back for passport. When I went back on Day 3 I was told I couldn't receive my passport because I needed to complete a medical in Juarez. I had to fly to Juarez, complete a basic medical (height, weight, chest x-ray and blood sample) and then fly back to Tijuana the next day. Once back in Tijuana they did same day stamping and I was back in San Diego by 8pm.

I've given the basic facts above, but I to this day am absolutely furious at the way I was treated. I wasted stupid amounts of money to get a visa stamp that should have been issued in the USA, Why they make people jump through all these hoops is an insult, especially as this was my 5th visa (I previously had 2 F-1 visas and 2 H1-B visas). 

Archived