EAD for Spouse when just applied for GC

Tust326

Hello All

I am in my 5th year of my H1B and planning to apply for GC through employer. I am married and my wife is having a hard time finding an employer who can sponsor. She is getting calls but when it gets to sponsoring, no one wants to go that path. We have couple of questions:

• I know that the processing time for GC for Indian national takes long. I heard that as soon as I apply for the GC, (at lease after 140 is cleared) my spouse can get EAD and can start working. Is that true?

We are also considering other options:

• We are considering moving to Canada as getting GC won’t take longer and my wife do not have to wait for as long as 4-5 yrs to start working. Also the Canadian GC rules, unlike USA, are not so strict; like you need to be present in US couple of months every year.

Let me ask you this, since I am in my 5th year of my H1 and need to decide right now about filing for US GC and my most likely option is to move to Canada, would I be blowing a chance of US GC? Is my option of moving to Canada better than filing for US GC? What do you all think?

I appreciate for your time.

Regards

Archived