Green card or Career

GChelp2012

Hi everyone,

I currently have an offer with Company "X" which is willing to apply for my green card after a year. I have 3 years of H1b remaining at the moment. I am unsure as to whether I should switch given that my current employer will file for my green card this year. The only problem is that either way I am going to be stuck with the EB3 category and the wait will be more than a year. I could perhaps, file under EB2, however lawyers have said prevailing wage is higher, which puts me at a risk of my application being rejected. During the 5year waiting period, I don't foresee myself moving up the ranks. In other words, career advancement at my current company is less possible as opposed to Company X. I know that company X calls for more hours and is more consulting in nature whereas my current company, I'm not really sure where I'll be headed.

The right decision, if the green card wasn't at stake, would have been to go with company X. However, given all the changes... I feel like a part of me thinks i should make immigration a priority and not be concerned about my career for the next 5 years?

This is not so much a technical question, more of a question to all you folks who have been through this process or are going through this process to share with me the wisdom.

Thanks in advance.

Archived