H1B Stamping after extension

ssis

I got my first H1B in Dec 2010 for one year. I applied for extension few days back and got extension for 3 yrs starting from Dec 2011 to Dec 2014.I am going to India in October 2011 for stamping(this is the first time I am going for H1 stamping). I was wondering which I-797 should I use for filling DS-160 and schedule an appointment at Chennai consulate.

Please suggest guys.

In your case make sure your visa appointment date falls with in the 90 days prior to your Dec 2011 I797 start date. but i think u can enter USA only with in 10 days prior to ur start date on the I797.

U can also use ur dec2010 I797 but If you use ur dec 2010 I797, your visa stamp validity may be only untill the end date of this I797 end date.

Thanks KingKhan.

I will use my latest I797 valid from Dec 2011 for appointment. since I already have a valid I797 until that date, IF my VISA is approved shouldn't the valid date date on visa be from the date I got approved.

I am confused here. anyone faced this situation before ?

This is the reply I got from VFS chennai.

"Kindly note that if you applying for H1B visa It is advisable to apply with your new I-797 work petition in order to re–enter the United States and at the time of the U.S visa interview you can carry your old and new petition and verbally intimate the same to the consular officer."

Archived