H1B expiring, recapture and perm advice

johno

Hi friends,

I just joined and would appreciate your valuable comments and advice.

I am in my 6th year of H1B and it is due to expire in Nov 2013. I had travelled 2 months on unpaid vacation to India for which I have passport stamps, proofs etc. I am planning to recapture those 2 months. Since my company is very bureaucratic with paperwork, I am wondering if I should file the request myself with USCIS. Question-1) Is this doable or it can only be done with employer's attorney?

Also I am due for some job offers in the next few weeks. Question-2) Isnt it better that I do the recapture requests now instead of doing them through my new company which will be doing H1 transfer, or should I inform my new company and take their help with the recapture when they do my h1 transfer?

Question-3, my new company has mentioned applying for GC once I join them. Given that short period of time, and assuming they start the PERM process in Jan, what chances have I got of getting an extension beyond the 6th year? Will it help if I take a vacation to India before H1b expiry after working for them for couple months, so that this new vacation period can also be considered to make it 365 days after filing labor?

Thank you for your kind advice and comments.

Archived