Company changing name

us_visa_dip

Hi,

I am all set to go to India this December 2012 to get my visa stamped on my passport. But my company just recently got bought my another company and they have changed the name of my company. I talked to HR and she mentioned that they will changing our visas to the new company name next year 2013.

So if I go to India this december and get my visa stamped with the old company name, will it still be valid next year when my company changes our visas to the new company name or will I have to go for visa stamping again next year so that the passport will have the new company name?

Please answer

You need to determine whether the new entity is a successor-in-interest for the old company. Acquisitions and mergers can be complicated affairs in immigration law. You need to make sure the company has consulted with an immigration attorney to ensure everything is in order. You (or your employer) can read more about such issues here:

http://www.murthy.com/2012/03/26/the-mysteries-of-mergers-acquisitions-basics-of-immigration-due-diligence/

If you or your employer has additional questions, please schedule a consult with a qualified attorney experienced in immigration law.

Yes the new entity is the successor-in-interest. They will be responsible for all my immigration-related liabilities. Since the new company is the successor-in-interest can i get my visa stamping with my old visa petition which still has the old company name? Or do I have to ask the company to do a new petition for me with the new company name in it?

• 1 year later...

Hi,

Since this post is old, I hope your issue due to successor-in-interest was resolved.

I am also in same situation. My company unit (in which I was working) acquired by another company and it became as individual entity. My company have told us that they have are following Successor-In-Interest process so need for any amendment I-797.

My question, if I change my job now (to some third company), do i need to submit any extra document for H1 transfer? 

I will appreciate any help regarding this matter?

Archived