Were you employed previously -- DS160 Question ..please help me with Answer

srinu5526

Hi Frnds,

I have a question on DS160 form, please help me with this before that...... let me explain my scenario :

I Gradtuated from a university in DEC 0X... after that I was on my first OPT from next JAN 0Y till AUG 0Y with employer 1. It was unpaid training.

From SEP 0Y to JAN 0Z was with another employer2 for my OPT Extension. It was unpaid training.

From FEB 0Z to current date year ' 12 with my currently employer 3. He applied my first H1, after my H1 I didn't change my employer.

Question :

while i was filling my DS160, I see a question

Were you ever Employed before ( provide employment details for last 5 years ) : Yes or NO

What should be my answer to that question, do i need to say YES ? or should I say NO ...since it was OPT and was on unpaid training, I don't have any paystubs that is no payroll was run during that period.

Once I joined my Employer 3 on my OPT Extension I had a job from FEB 0Z to till date i have all paystubs with no gap ( was not on bench ). On my H1 I don't have any gaps..have been working all the time ...

please help me out with this question, I am worried that if I say yes ...will thier b any question from VO why did you change so many employers ..?

I really appreciate your help with this, who have been already in the same situation please share your experinces.

Thanks in advance

Srini

I would say not to put any and if VO asks specifically what did you do after the time you graduate and got the job (3rd Job, H1b) then you can say I was working in different company on OPT,

I was in same situation and as I mentioned in DS 160, VO thought those two jobs are also in H1B and got confused (Even I told him those were in OPT) and gave me 221G and later after a week got a mail form embassy for H1B documents for the company which I am working on OPT, I replied with attaching OPT card, still waiting for the response.

I would say mention only the jobs you were working in H1B and avoid all the confusion.

Thanks Mkk08 for quick reply, but my employer3 is suggesting to mention. He says Why you want to leave a gap their. .when he want some info about of year 0Y .It will be present already in DS160, by not mentioning u will be in further danger.

creating another confusion...I am confused now :(

What shall i do ...frnds?

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...

guys,

same situation with me..

-> 2008 Graduated

-> Joined a consultancy in 2009 and with him until 2010 July.--- training was given, UNPAID job  NO paystubs.

-> 2010 Aug - joined current employer and no change till date.

Q) should i mention about the unpaid job in DS-160 for the question - Were you employed previously

appreciated !
  • 1 month later...

Archived