Successful H-1B Visa stamping on Nov 19th at Vancouver

MJMOnline

Hello All,

I'm here to share my H-1B visa stamping experience at Vancouver consulate on Nov 19th.

This is my 2nd H1 with a new employer and I previously held an F1 visa. I'm on EVC model and was carrying letter from all the parties involved.

My time slot was at 10:00 AM but I reached the consulate around 8:15 and they did let me in by 8:30. It took 20-30 minutes for me to go through the security and the initial document checking on the first floor (Counters 1 and 2). I reached the 20th floor no later than 9:10. I was surprised to see how small the interview area was. There are total four counters here, 3 through 6. Counter 3 will have your finger prints and the rest will do the actual visa interview. I was called at counter 5 around 9:30 where a lady interviewed me for about 10 min. The place was pretty loud and noisy with all the token number calling but once I reached the interview counter, I didn't hear a thing but the lady. Here's how my interview went.

Q. How long have you been in the US?

A. Little over 7 years.

Q. Where do you live?

A. XXXX

Q. What are your travel back plans to US (itinerary)?

A. I'll fly to Seattle to meet some friends for the Thanksgiving and then I'll fly to XXXX.

Q. Can you show me the tickets confirming the same?

A. I didn't book any yet as I'm not sure on how long this visa process takes.

Q. I need to see your client contract and your contract with your employer

A. I showed her client letter, offer letter from my employer and the agreement I have with my employer.

Q. Does your client pay you directly?

A. No, my employer pays me.

Q. Why did you change your old employer?

A. I was looking for a better opportunity and so I joined this company

Q. How did you find this job?

A. Through a web portal

Q. Which website?

A. Dice

Q. What's your qualification for this job?

A. I have done my Master's here and my previous experience was a big plus.

Q. You have done Master's in Canada?

A. Sorry, I meant US. I then clearly told her my degree, concentration and the University name.

Q. How much do you make?

A. USD XXXXX

Q. Can I see the paystubs?

A. I handed over 18 months paystubs (new employer). She skimmed through all but observed keenly the latest few and said "Good". Having exact pay each month helps! If your pay differs from month to month, make sure you explain why it does.

Q. What do you do for this client?

A. Explained for a while what my I-129 states but felt like she wouldn't understand what it is. So, I explained her that all the middleware technologies I mentioned earlier are needed to create a platform on which a website can be hosted and run. I guess I took a gamble here but I was able to convince her about my role. Make sure whatever you say should sound convincing and not digress much from I-129.

Q. Why not you go to India for your stamping or for that matter why not a closer consulate? (I was coming from North East)

A. As I told you earlier I chose this place so that I can meet my friends in Seattle for the Thanksgiving.

Q. Where do they stay in Seattle? Can you give me the addresses?

A. I bluntly said "I just know that they live in Seattle but not sure of the exact location"

Q. How do you know them?

A. From my Master's

I don't recall exactly on what she said towards the end of the interview but I knew she was approving my visa (body language). Finally she said I can pick my passport up in 3-5 business days.

As you can see from my interview not all questions are straightforward but my answers were. We don't necessarily need to know everything. Make sure whatever you say should sound convincing and say it with confidence. I'm not going through the list but, If it's a possibility, carry every imaginable document with you. I was even carrying my W2's from 2005 when I was on F1 visa.

Most importantly, remember this - the primary purpose of the consulate is to grant us a visa, not to deny one. Be confident and present your case well.

I know that at least 5 people were interviewed for H-1B visa that day and all were approved. Two got email from Loomis on Tuesday evening and they were able to pick up the passport on Wednesday. I got email on Wednesday evening and picked up the passport on Thursday. I don't know why mine was delayed but if I have to take a guess it might be the submission of DS160 form. I submitted it late Friday afternoon. Also, I believe that it helps to send an email to PIMS for verification so that your case won't be delayed even after approval of the visa. Refer to this link http://forum.murthy....__fromsearch__1

Apart from waiting for the passport, I couldn't do much in Vancouver. It was raining for the most part of my stay and I didn't see sun at all. One thing you definitely need in Vancouver is an umbrella. Public transportation is very accessible and affordable. You can take a day pass for $9 that can be used for trains (Canada Line) and buses. They say Vancouver is the food capital of Canada and most of the restaurants (not just Indian) are located on Broadway st.

Finally, to say Vancouver is expensive is an understatement.

Good luck

Hello MJM

Thanks for the brief description . Out of all you said was very nice and i have every thing with me. but the thing which worries me is " Do you have all the contract between your employer and client ". Do we need to submit the contract between (emp > vendore > client) this will be a little difficult. Providing client letter is a bit easy but expecting Contract documents from vendor is not that easy. How did you manage on this . can you please guide. Or can you drop me your phone number here @ reach.hus@gmail.com it will be reall helpful for me.

Thanks

NewH1-B,

Generally a letter from client (stating both vendor and your employer's name) would be enough. They would only go that far and ask for contracts if the letters you provide are not convincing. Get client letter, vendor letter and your contract with your employer and the offer letter and they should suffice 9 out of 10 times. I showed just those 4 docs.

Svasa,

It's always better to come up with our own ideas as compared to others' as they might ask follow up questions. I might say, being in your shoes, that I always wanted to pursue second masters in Computer Science and I'm using this experience for that. Think about all the possible follow up questions and be precise.

SPB555,

YVR is the airport. There are 2 hotels (Marriott and Days Inn) close to the consulate on Pender st. Try Marriott if it's not too expensive compared to the other one. It would be at least 150 bucks.

Good luck!

Archived