Travel to US on H1B visa with a different I 797

aspirantal

Hi All,

Recently I got my H1 B visa stamped from a Company A which makes it valid until 2015 .

But, another company, B said we will do better offer for you and transferred the Visa ( I still havent traveled to US yet, but USCIS agreed that I would be cap exempt and gave me approval)

So, I now have a visa stamped on the name of Company A and I 797s of both A and B.

I have decided to Join B, Can I travel to US with Company A's visa and B's I 797 and start working for B given that this will be my first journey to US on H1B visa?

What should I say when the immigration officer at the Port of Entry asks me that why couldnt I go for another visa interview for Company B to have the visa stamp on their name?

Any quick help or sharing of similar experiences is deeply appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

I had somewhat similar situtation but I was already in the US. I was working for Company A with H1b valid until April 2014. I went to Canada to get a new VISA stamp with that I-797. Got visa renewed until June 2013. I changed job in Aug 2012 to Company B. Got a new I-797 valid until April 2014. Then In Sept 2012 I traveled to Europe and got back fine with the new I-797 and the old visa with Company A's name.

I had the Company A's 797 along with recent paystubs with me just in case. Then also the new 797 and the new paystubs. I explained to the officer that I changed job. As far as I know there is no problem as long you have a valid 797 and valid entry visa. But double check with your company's people and attorney.

Archived