Form 4549 from IRS

Johnjohny

Hello All ,

I need some help regarding a letter i received from IRS. I filed my taxes in 2011 for the year 2010 using US-India Treaty. I am in OPT While filing the taxes and my H1 started in Oct 2011. One of my friend tole me that i am eligible for US-India treaty and i can claim all the taxes i paid for the year 2010. The tax agent told me the same thing and i applied for the same.

I got all my taxes refunded around (8.5K) in 2011 around May. Today , i recieved a letter from IRS that i am not eligible for that criteria and i have to pay all the taxes i got last year with a penalty and Interest fee(around 11K).

I realized that i did a mistake. But will it effect any of my future status , like GC processing or my H1 stamping. Also they had me a penalty like 1800$.Can i ask IRS to exempt me from the penalty. Please suggest

I realized that i did a mistake. But will it effect any of my future status , like GC processing or my H1 stamping. Also they had me a penalty like 1800$.Can i ask IRS to exempt me from the penalty. Please suggest

You made a mistake, you need to pay penalty for that.

Remember, tax evasion is one of the biggest crimes in US.

Im ready to pay the penalty.But will it affect any of my GC proceesing in my future

• 4 weeks later...

Archived