H1b Renewal question

h1b_renew

My H1b expired in Sept 2012 . I have the approval notice for the extension. I will be traveling to India in December to get the VISA stamped. I am traveling via Frankfurt.

1. I think i will need a transit Visa and I am planning to sumbit the application to Atlanta office. I think i have to send my original passport for that purpose. Am i correct?

2. My H1B will be renewed till sept 2015. However my passport expires in Jul 2013. Do i need to apply for passport renewal before i submit my visa renewal application? If so, assuming that i will apply for visa renewal in December, when should i apply for passport renewal and how?

3. Or Can i get my passport renewed after getting my visa stamped even though the renewal will be longer than the current passport expiration date?

I read somewhere that your visa will be stamped for the duration , on the approval notice or the passport expiration date, which ever is shorter

Thanks for the help

Yes you would need transit visa if you travel through Germany while on H1B extension papers. You could also select other carriers which transit through countries which do not need transit visa. check with your booking agent if you have one.

For visa stamping and reentry you do not need to renew your passport. But be aware of following -

1. Your visa has nothing to do with your passport expiry, so you could get the visa stamped till your petition end date.

2. At port of entry you could get your I94 expiry date as your passport expiry date (high possibility), after which you would need to file extension to stay (I-539).

Indian passport could be renewed anytime within a year of expiry. As you are travelling to India, you have ample time to get your passport renewed in USA at any Indian consulate so that you have everything in your new passport. In due course if you fall short to get transit visa for Germany, travel through country which don't need a transit visa.

Hope this helps.

Archived