STEM EXTENSION OPT EXPIRED AND H1B PENDING

pg242

Hi,

My STEM extension OPT is expiring on 15 November, 2012 and my H1B visa is under process. I received a RFE on 17 August, 2012 and my employer responded to RFE on 11 October 2012. Can I continue to work after 15 November, 2012? If I am not allowed to work, how long can I stay in USA?

I have heard of 60 day grace period after OPT expiration.Can I apply for 60 days grace period after OPT expiration and start working in case I find a job during 60 days?

Please reply at your earliest convenience.

Thanks in advance

Poonam

If your H1B is still pending past OPT Expiration,You cant work after 15 November, 2012.

Your 60 day Grace period starts after Nov 15th.So you can stay upto 60 days on F1 status.

You can stay past that 60 day Grace Period, If your H1B application is still pending after Jan 14th 2013, In this case, you will no longer be in F1 status after 60 day grace period.

If COS is not approved by the end of OPT, Grace period will start automatically after OPT expires and you are not authorized to work during the grace period.

• 1 month later...

Hi Poonam,

This is Shravani. I am in the same situation as you. My opt expired on Nov 14th 2012, My h1 rfe was responded on oct 12th 2012. It is still rfe response review. I have stopped working now. Can you tell me our options now? Are you waiting or is your h1 approved? Thanks!

Archived