H1B visa approved but passport has not yet arrived after over a month

dpaul

Hi,

I had a visa interview at the American consulate in Mexico city on the 10th of September 2012 to renew my H1 B visa (which was expiring on Sep 30th 2012). I was told that my visa was approved and that it should reach me in 5 - 10 business days. Its been almost a month and I still have not received my passport.

On writing to the consulate(after 10 business days) they mentioned that my case has gone into additional processing. They have not requested for any sort of additional documents nor have they mentioned any reason why my case has gone into additional processing. Please bear in mind that I was NOT issued a 221g at the time of interview. I was simply told that my visa was approved and that it would reach me in 5 - 10 business days.

My questions are as follows

1) Can they put my case into additional processing after telling me that my visa was approved and not requesting any additional documents.

2) Is there any way I can find out what is going on via my company attorney etc.

I am right now stuck in Mexico city without my passport and with no way of returning back to India.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

D

My questions are as follows

1) Can they put my case into additional processing after telling me that my visa was approved and not requesting any additional documents.

2) Is there any way I can find out what is going on via my company attorney etc.

I am right now stuck in Mexico city without my passport and with no way of returning back to India.

1. Yes, they can.

2.Your attorney can contact USCIS to know what went wrong when initially everything was fine.

In any case, if you want your passport back you can ask consulate to return your passport.

Archived