Misspelled Last Name in I-797 petition

rkvinn

I transferred my H1B to a different company, however when i saw the I797 form, my last name is misspelled.

My Last Name is Akula

but in the passport it is spelled as Akela

I told my employer about this, but my employer told me that i will have to completely reapply and it will now cost me the same amount of money i had to pay for my original H1B transfer (i paid premium fees because i had to renew my drivers license).

Do i have to really pay all the fees again? and what is the process to change the last names, i am more concerned because i need to renew my Drivers license but with this incorrect spelled name will i be able to renew my license.

Appreciate if anyone can provide theri experiences regarding similar situations.

Generally, if the typo is discovered soon after approval, it should be possible to email the premium processing unit with a copy of the passport biographic page and request an amended approval notice with the correct spelling. If the mistake was due on part of the applicant, and not a USCIS error, it may be more difficult to have the typo corrected.

Archived