Can a fresh,unused H1 B Visa be transferred from outside the US- urgent

aspirantal

Hi All,

I have received a H1 B Visa stamping from one of the employers who directly recruited me from the US in this year ( 2012 -2013 ).

I am currently working for a company in india who after realizing that I will leaving for the above company, offered me the same benefits & package at their US location. My question is about whether my current employer in india can transfer the H1 B visa which is valid until 2015 to their name from outside US ( india ) and will it also be cap exempt as I havent travelled to the US on this visa?

I am worried that if my visa isnt cap exempt to be able to apply from my employer in india, I might have to wait until next October to be able to start working in the US.

Any quick information regarding this would be deeply appreciated.

if its cap exempt, do I have to go to the interview again?

Thanks

Generally, an individual is considered counted against the numerical H1B cap if s/he is issued an H1B visa by a U.S. Embassy or Consulate. A new employer would need to file a new or change of employer petition for consular notification and argue that the beneficiary has been counted against the H1B cap. Please schedule a consultation with a qualified immigration attorney to discuss the specific facts of your case.

@aspirantal: I think your existing employer can file an H1B transfer with USCIS and once it is approved you can enter to USA with existing visa stamped on your passport. So that in Port of Entry, you need to inform that you have changed your employer as the employer name on visa and I-797 mismatches.

As always to be in safer place, check about this possibility with experienced immigration attorney.

@aspirantal: I think your existing employer can file an H1B transfer with USCIS and once it is approved you can enter to USA with existing visa stamped on your passport. So that in Port of Entry, you need to inform that you have changed your employer as the employer name on visa and I-797 mismatches.

As always to be in safer place, check about this possibility with experienced immigration attorney.

I just spoke to an immigration attorney using a phone consultation facility,

He said that if my current employer files a premium petition and should the petition be approved, I should be able to travel to the US using the new I 797 with the existing H1 B Stamping , but again he mentioned this differs from attorney to attorney on how they claim your status to be. Its not a 100 % sureshot thing.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived