H1-B from F1

gray_hairs

Okay, this is a long story, but I'll try to keep it as concise as possible.

I came to the US from the UK in January 2009. I studied for my master's in education, which I graduated from in May 2012. At that time I was on an F1 student visa.

My college was less than efficient in communicating that I could have applied for an OPT before I graduated. I didn't find out about that until after I'd graduated and had been offered a job. It was too late to then apply for the OPT, so my school sponsored me for H1-B, which after expediting, I managed to secure for one year. Because I never left the US in the time between changing my status, from student to worker, I never attended an interview for a visa stamp. I don't have one.

My contract at my last school was not renewed, however, i managed to secure a new teaching position at a different school. They agreed to sponsor me and apply for an extension to my 1 year H1 B. They filed 7 days before my then H1 B expired. I was told by USCIS that I could port my working authorisation to the new school. I left the country to visit family back in the UK, but of course, on trying to return, I was not allowed to board the plane in Heathrow.

I have no visa in my passport, and I can't arrange for an interview at the embassy until my work papers are approved. The website states a 2 month wait from the time of filing - that was up on August 22nd. When my school district's lawyer called to question this, they told him that they were allowed a 30 day grace period to adjudicate petitions. I have now passed that 30 day period and I am still waiting for my decision. The status update on the USCIS website is still in the 2nd stage with no sign of it being completed. The school's lawyer called last week for an update and they told him that my case is still pending.

I spoke to my school this morning and they're getting impatient waiting for me to return. Who can blame them?

So - is it normal to be kept waiting so long? Where in the US (East Coast, Connecticut) could I have had my passport stamped? I simply did not know about this.

Assuming my papers will be approved and I can attend an interview in London, will the fact that I didn't have a stamp before cause further issues for me now? I'm extremely worried that my apartment, car and life in CT are coming to an end. This process is just a nightmare and the lack of communication is demoralizing.

Any advice gratefully received.

Archived