IRS lien and H1 approval

blrboy

Hi,

I worked in the US from Aug, 2001 - Feb, 2006 on H1B. I did not apply for Green Card then. I relocated back to INDIA in Feb 2006. I filed all my taxes upto 2005. since I was there in the US for only 1.5 months in FY2006, I did not file my taxes for that year. I got notices from IRS and finally I filed the tax returns for all the years. Simultaneously I also filed for new H1B through another company this year. I see the online status for Form "I-129" as approved and pending "Post Decision Activity". I was wondering:

- What are the next stages followed for approving and getting my visa and if IRS was involved in any of the steps.

- if my petition would still be subjected to any problems due to IRS, or everything would be OK.

- any problems at the consulate when I go for stamping

Regards

Hello blrboy! Can you please tell me what I have to do in my case.

I joined a consultancy firm in October 2008 on H-1B and filed my taxes in 2009.

But in March 2009, I came to India on family emergency and stayed here for 3 months.

Went back to US on 18 June 2009, resigned from company and came to India on 5 August 2009.

since then I am working in India.

I have not received W-2 from employer (consultancy firm) so I have not filed tax in 2010.

Of which months do I need to file tax. I only worked for partly June 2009 and July 2009. Came India on 5 August 2009. I have not been paid for 4 days of August 2009. Is it OK?

What should I do next?

Please guide.

Regards.

You should ask for your W-2 for 2009 and file taxes for that year as well. So, now the question is did your employer even deduct the taxes and actually pay to the IRS? Typically W-2 is one of the primary means for IRS to know that you received your salaries. You are better off talking to one of the CPAs who understand immigration matters. But, in parallel you need to ask for your W-2 from your previous employer.

Archived