Can work on L1 visa when H1 visa is approved ?

MindPower

As of now I have L1 visa and my H1 visa is approved and will be active from 1st Oct 2012.

My current employer want to work for him till 15th Oct on L1 visa only i.e. 2 weeks after my change of status.

My questions are:

1. Is it legally allowed to work on L1 visa while your H1 visa got activated ?

2. Will there be any reparations on GC filing / visa stamping / port of entry in future ?

3. What will be best solution to act in this scenario ?

As of now I have L1 visa and my H1 visa is approved and will be active from 1st Oct 2012. My current employer want to work for him till 15th Oct on L1 visa only i.e. 2 weeks after my change of status. My questions are: 1. Is it legally allowed to work on L1 visa while your H1 visa got activated ? 2. Will there be any reparations on GC filing / visa stamping / port of entry in future ? 3. What will be best solution to act in this scenario ?

1) No (if filed as COS).

2) Difficult to answer

3) Plan your notice period in such a way that it ends on 30th Sep and you join H1 employer on 1st Oct.

2)

1. Is it legally allowed to work on L1 visa while your H1 visa got activated ?

No, it is illegal since you have got approval already and you have already got two weeks before you start your new job.

2. Will there be any reparations on GC filing / visa stamping / port of entry in future ?

A status violation of up to 180 days will be excused for GC filing.

3. What will be best solution to act in this scenario ?

Give two weeks notice to your current employer and join the new employer on Oct 1st.

Archived