L1 to H1B COS

vikkyjethani

I am in US on L1B and have filed for fresh H1B with CoS with a different employer. Date of filing was May 23 2012. The status is still in Initial Review. Its almost Mid September.If the status is approved now , I may not get enough time to serve a notice period since my status changes from Oct 1.

a) Is there a last date as such for consulate to take decision on applications with Cos , considering the COS is effective from OCT1. Can they disclose on Sep 28 that its approved with effective date Oct 1 . Is that a possibility?

b) Do I get some lead time to actually inform my present company and serve a notice ? I heard that after a decision is posted on the website , it takes about 10 days to get formal documents and COS to come in effect.

c) Can the COS effective date be after Oct 1. Can the consulate approve the application in Oct month with Nov 1 as effective date?

Appreciate your help on this.

Thanks.

a) Is there a last date as such for consulate to take decision on applications with Cos , considering the COS is effective from OCT1. Can they disclose on Sep 28 that its approved with effective date Oct 1 . Is that a possibility?

No, your receipt notice should say that USCIS has a time of up to 180 days to make a decision.

b) Do I get some lead time to actually inform my present company and serve a notice ? I heard that after a decision is posted on the website , it takes about 10 days to get formal documents and COS to come in effect.

I asked the same question here and look at the replies:

c) Can the COS effective date be after Oct 1. Can the consulate approve the application in Oct month with Nov 1 as effective date?

Not sure, let's hope USCIS will be kind enough to do that :-)

Archived