Can I go to US on B1 visa during 1yr cooling period?

oibmuser

Hello experts,

I am in a dilemma and need your advice. Here are my questions:

* I used 5 yrs and 3 months of my previous H1 visa and came back to India in April 2012. It was sponsored by my first employer, say A. After coming to India I joined a new employer, say B. My intention was to stay outside of US for 1 year, the cooling period (till April 2013) and then again apply for fresh H1 thru my new employer B. I assume that doing so would make me eligible for new H1 visa valid for 6 years thru employer B. Is my assumption correct? I don't know if first employer A cancelled my H1 when I quit their company. It was valid till Jan-2013. I have no intention to join back employer A to go to USA. Employer B is ok to file H1 in April 2013.

* Due to an urgent business need, my new employer B is forcing me to go to USA for a short period of 2-3 weeks. They want to apply my B1 visa this month (September 2012). If I allow employer B to process B1 visa, will it hamper my plans to get new 6yr valid H1 thru employer B? When they talk about 1 year cooling period, do they mean not entering USA on any kind of visa?

Please advise.

Thank you so much!

OIBM User

Your assumption is correct. With new petition you are entitled to get fresh 6 years. It doesn't matter whether your employer A revoked previous H1-B or not, since your new employer B is filing a brand new petition which is counted against cap.

The 1 year period need not be continuous. It can be in installments. Your 1 year clock pauses when you go to US on B1 and it resumes when you come back, as simple as that.

But I suspect they may deny your B1 visa with "potential immigrant" as reason since you already worked on H1-B earlier. B1 is a single intent visa and H1 is a dual intent visa which allows you to work and settle in US.

Archived