DMV denies to renew license during capgap

H4-SD

Hi,

I moved from Ohio to Indiana couple of months ago. I am driving using my Ohio license in Indiana. When I went to the DMV to get an Indiana license they said they can only give me license upto the date on my EAD card which is 31st of Aug. My H1B is approved but the start date is not until 1st of Oct. I was also issued an i20 from my university in Ohio which says I am eligible for capgap and the end date of my OPT is 30th of Sep on the 3rd page.

The people at DMV say they cannot accept the i20 as a proof even though it is a legal document because it was issued by university in Ohio not Indiana. I dont know how i can get OPT cap gap i20 from an Indiana University if I did my masters in Ohio. They say its not thier problem. They dont know or are not familiar with the term cap cap. I went to two different DMVs and they dont even listen to what I say they just call Indianapolis DMV and they we cannot accept the documents you show us. But the people in indianapolis DMV canoot see my documents and the people in my place they dont know what I am talking about. I also took a print out from the USCIS webste and showed the paragraph where it says how to get a license during a capgap. The only reason they refuse to give me license is because they are not familiar with the cap gap.

I dont understand what to do at this point. Please someone help me.

Archived