OPT to H-1B and H-1B transfer from mech to IT

vrpati

Hello,

I am currently working on my OPT (OPT is valid up to next year June) and my H-1b got approved. It is going to start from October 1st this year. Unfortunately, we are expecting some layoffs in the company.

If I get fired before October 1st, will I be able to work on my OPT (for some other company) as my OPT expires next June? or do they (USCIS) terminate my OPT immediately after my H-1b application is approved?

If in case they don't lay off anyone before October, how difficult is it to transfer my H-1b from mechanical to IT field? I did my Masters in Mechanical and working in Mechanical company.

My plan is to transfer to Oracle Apps where sometimes they do ask for domain experience. Can I show my present experience as domain experience for USCIS so that it will be easy for H-1b transfer?

Any of the suggestions will help my situation.

Please advise.

Hello,

Your OPT would be terminated from OCT-01 and you would be in H1B from that date, there is no turning back. H1B transfer can be done any time and is upto the Immigration Officer's discretion to approve it or not. As far as USCIS is concerned you need to maintain your status and they don't deal with layoffs, your best bet would be get a new job in the mean time and transfer h1b to new employer hassle free.

Thanks,

Lovely

Archived