EAD/AP Renewal

srinath2003

Hi All,

I have a quick question:

My PD: July 2007

Filed I485: Nov 1st 2011

Current EAD/AP expires: Dec 21st 2012.

I asked my lawfirm whether there will be EAD/AP renewal fee as my I-485 was filed in Nov 2011...they said "Yes we need to pay"..Here is the reply:

"If you paid the new fees they were charging in 2007 and did not file for EAD AP at the time you filed I-485 it would be free but I believe everyone we filed for paid the old fees and do have to pay for renewals."

My company paid the I485 fee for me but I paid the fee for my wife and I paid $1040 for her I-485 application fee. This fee looks like new fee...

Now, I am confused as I heard from other forum members that EAD/AP Renewal Fee is free for people who filed I-485 after 2007.

Any suggestions.

Thanks

Hi Srinath -

I'm in a similar situation as you are where my EAD/AP expiration is Feb 23rd 2013. My lawyer emailed me saying that I'll have to pay for EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) renewal fees (for my wife and myself) that comes to about $1500 plus legal fees $1100 that sums upto $2600. I called the USCIS customer service center today and verified that since we have applied after july 2007, there are no renewal fees. I have also checked the I-765 instructions document from the USCIS.gov site that seems to confirm this understanding. Please click the link below for the exact verbiage on pg 8 (bullet # 4 of Renewal EAD section) of the form and let me know if you disagree. My lawyer seems to be misinformed so there is no way I'm gonna pay $2600 for something that should be of no cost. Hope this helps!

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-765instr.pdf

dsitlani:

Sam problem with my lawfirm...They told me $2480 (both me and my wife including USCIS Fees). I tried convincing them that Application Fee is free for renewals for applications with new fee structure of $1070.... But they are not agreeing and asking me to do my myself..

Only worry is : "Till now, I did lot of research on Internet Forums and people say it is free and also showing the USCIS Links like you placed..." But I did not see any person saying that "They did the EAD./AP renewal without paying the fee"..

One option is try sending the package to USCIS without fee and see whether they will accept the package or reject saying we need to pay....

Let me know if you find any valuable information....

Thanks

• 4 months later...

All,

I am about to apply for I-765 and I-131 renewal and have the same question of whether or not to pay the fee. I heard froma colleague that we don't need to pay. My collegue sent teh docs ( paper application) without fee. She got the Receipt notice from USCIS but the decision is pending from them. Could you guys ( srinath2003, dsitlani or anyone who has the clear information) reply whether anyone got teh EAD and AP got renewed without paying fee ?

Thanks in advance.

Archived