Valid stay with H1B after resigning from current job (unemployed)

iyappram

Hi,

I would like to seek your help in determining the "Legal eligible stay in USA" for the below case/situation -

H1B Validity - Jan 31, 2013

I-94 date - Jan 31, 2013

If I Submit my resignation to my current employer on July 30, 2012 & become unemployed - How long I can stay in US as unemployed & when I would need to move back to my home country (India)? [i have a valid B1 visa until 2016]

Thank you in advance!

Unfortunately, the regulations do not allow “a grace period” after your H1B employment has ended. Therefore, if you are no longer working pursuant to H-1B status and a new H-1B petition, change of status or adjustment of status petition has not been timely filed you are considered out of status. For a more in-depth discussion regarding your personal circumstances and any options that may be available to you, please consult a qualified U.S. immigration attorney directly. The Murthy Law Firm has a very well-regarded H1B Department with extensive experience who would be able to provide you with excellent assistance. Please feel free to call our office to schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys.

Archived