SSN for H4 Visa Holder

vinjo

Hello forum members,

I am in Texas holding an H4 visa. Apparently, H4 visa holders are no longer issued SSN. However, I am looking to pursue masters in nursing, which requires RN licensing, which in turn requires SSN.

(a) Is it possible to get SSN for such situations?

(b) Are there any H4 visa holders who secured an RN license? If so, could you please share your experience?

Thank you for your help in advance,

Vinu

• 1 month later...

Vinu, your best option is to change to a F-1 visa while pursuing your masters in nursing degree. With a F-1 (student) visa you can work part-time at the university while you are pursuing your degree. As soon as you get a job offer from the university, you can (and have to) get a social security number. The other benefit of a F-1 visa is OPT employment authorization after graduation.

My family and I are in Texas on H-1B / H-4 visas. My son had to switch to a F-1 visa as he turned 21, but now has an offer to work at the lab / research facility in his department, and is expecting his SSN in the mail any day now. My daughter just started university (on her H-4 visa), with the hopes of getting into nursing after her undergraduate degree (in health). Unless there is a change in immigration laws post election and we get our permanent residency (green cards) first, my daughter will be going the F-1 visa route as well.

Archived