Applying Canada Visiting Visa at NY While i am on Cap Gap.

RAO1

Hi

i am on student status( Cap Gap) until October 1, And then my h1 will be activated. But mean while i am planning to go for Canada visiting visa at NY in-person on 08/09/2012. So how long would i get my visiting visa. Will it be based on student visa or my H1b.

Thanks in Andvance.

I went through the process to get my US visa stamped at Calgary. You need to provide documentation explaining your current status (which is F1) and then additional documentation (approved H1 petition - I-797A) to show your intention for travel to Canada. You also need to demonstrate proof of funds with bank statements etc.. Usually, the visa is granted for 1 year time if you opt for multiple entry or less than a year time if you opt for single entry visa. Your validity of Canadian visa is not based on your current status in US - rather it is based on your Passport expiry, the purpose of your trip and type of visa requested. Hope it explains. Good Luck.

I went through the process to get my US visa stamped at Calgary. You need to provide documentation explaining your current status (which is F1) and then additional documentation (approved H1 petition - I-797A) to show your intention for travel to Canada. You also need to demonstrate proof of funds with bank statements etc.. Usually, the visa is granted for 1 year time if you opt for multiple entry or less than a year time if you opt for single entry visa. Your validity of Canadian visa is not based on your current status in US - rather it is based on your Passport expiry, the purpose of your trip and type of visa requested. Hope it explains. Good Luck.

Hi.Did you go for H1B stamping while you are on OPT or Cap Gap?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Rao1,

Thanks for sharing your experience. Just a quick question, since you were on Cap gap, did you have to show an i-20 that reflected this cap-gap status? I'm wondering if I need to request a new I-20 showing cap-gap (OPT extension) status before showing up at the embassy. I already have an approved H1-B notice with me, visa interview in early october.

If anyone else knows, please chime in too. Thanks.

Archived