Successfully Renewed I-94 at Rainbow Bridge, Nayagara

Sumant_ch

Hi,

I hope my experience is helpful for everyone looking for information on I-94 renewal.

I have H1B visa validity until Sep 15, 2011, but my passport is expiring on April 23,2011. So I have applied for new passport in Indian High Comission, Washington D.C. got Passport in 5 weeks. After that I went to CBP office(Raleigh, NC), but they refused to do renewal as their job is only to correct any on I-94.

I have 2 options:

1. Try in any other international airport.

2. Cross the border by going to Canada or Mexico

I want to try option #1 as last time and went to IAD(DC airport), but no luck there as well.

Then next day I have applied for Canada multiple entry visa(you can apply single entry as well, but as a safe side I chooses multiple) and got the visa on same day. On Apr 2nd Sat, I flew to Cleveland, Rented a Car and reached to Niagara Falls.

1.Once I reach to Rainbow Bridge US side, I paid toll and crossed. Here it is just a toll gate, they don't even understand if you ask anything about I-94.

2. Once you cross bridge, you get another Toll booth like, but this is Canadian Immigration point.

3. Immigration Officer asked me:

Officer: Where are you from?

me: North Carolina

Officer:How did you come here?

me:I flyed to Cleveland and drove to Niagara

Officer:what do you do?

me:I work as software engineer at XXXX company

Officer:Why are you here?

*****You have to say for renewal of I-94, otherwise they don't take*****

me:I came here as I have to Renew my I-94, as it is expiring.

Then she took my I-94 and kept with her and returned passport.

Officer:Do you have all documents to support when you go back?

me:Yes

Officer: Welcome Canada!

Then I took immediate right into Falls Ave, then immediate right into Hiram Street, right again into River road, right to Clifton Hill, right to Falls ave again and finally Rainbow Bridge to USA.( no need to stay single minute in Canada, u can just make u-turn. You can stay if you like to)

At USA CBP Point on bridge, officer asked my passport and I told him that I need a new I-94. Officer took old and new passports with him and gave one slip as a reference and asked one of his colleagues to guide me to park the Car, then to CBP office on second Floor.

I went to second floor, there are many people waiting in Hall and it took 1 hour to get my call(officer will call you. no token). Officer asked couple of questions 1. Where are you working? 2. what is company name? etc.., simple questions though.

Finally he issued new I-94 as per visa date and charged $6 for new card. Everything took me 3 hours.

Process is very simple, but really expensive to change a simple date on white card.

Hope my experience helps you guys!

ALL the BEST!!

Regards

Sumanth

• 1 month later...
  • 6 years later...

Sumanth -

Thanks you for providing details info.

I am also planning to renew post new Ind passport in the same route, however, I have received the electronic I-94 from my last visit to USA, how would it work at the both the CBP, Also I am planning to walk over the bridge and walk back same day, hope that should be fine. do we need any canadian currency during this trip?

Archived