Lost I797 and H1B Stamping in Vancouver

veena

Hello,

My 7th year H1B extebsion was approved in Nov 2011. I am currently in my 7th year and I am yet to get a visa stamping. I was handed the bottom portion of the original I797, whch has the visa start and expiry dates and also the I94. My employer kept the Top portion. Employer reports that the original I797 document has now been lost. I have an appointment for my H1B stamping in Vancouver this August 28th. I do not have I797C either.

1. Can I get a stamping with a copy of the Original I797A and the Bottom portion of my original document?

2. Can my spouse get the H4 stamping with a copy of I797A?

Both of us had planned to get it stamped in Vancouver.

Any input in this matter is much appreciated.

Hello,

My 7th year H1B extebsion was approved in Nov 2011. I am currently in my 7th year and I am yet to get a visa stamping. I was handed the bottom portion of the original I797, whch has the visa start and expiry dates and also the I94. My employer kept the Top portion. Employer reports that the original I797 document has now been lost. I have an appointment for my H1B stamping in Vancouver this August 28th. I do not have I797C either.

1. Can I get a stamping with a copy of the Original I797A and the Bottom portion of my original document?

2. Can my spouse get the H4 stamping with a copy of I797A?

Both of us had planned to get it stamped in Vancouver.

Any input in this matter is much appreciated.

I Think you can request for a new I797 from USCIS..you can call USCIS and ask them to send Duplicate I797..

Try sending an e-mail to Vancouver consulate - explain that original I797 was lost by employer, and ask if you can attend with a copy of it. There is an option to apply for duplicate I797, but it will take time. It may be good to apply for duplicate and carry the receipt number of application for duplicate I797.

I have attended visa interview in India without original I797. It was lost by my employer, and at that time - i have sent an e-mail to consulate about my situation (after finding couple of similar cases in internet forums). They have accepted my request and mentioned that i can appear with copy of I797. I have carried the printout of e-mail reply when went to interview. At the same time, applied for duplicate and got it after nearly 2 months. This was my experience - please don't depend on this, and discuss with your employer and attorney.

Archived