Is original I-797 required for H1B visa interview?

rohit_123

Hi,

I am scheduled for my H1B visa extension interview at the Vancouver Consulate on Aug 3rd.

Last week, my original I797 was lost by the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles during the process of issuing the Canadian visa on my passport.

Is the original I797 required for the visa interview? Issuance of a duplicate document takes unto 6 months and I can't wait that long for the visa stamping.

One of the blogposts on internet mentioned that the document is no longer required since it is updated in the PIMS database available to the Visa Officer.

Please see below the guideline from the US Deptt of State which specifies requirement of only the I129 and states that I797 is no longer needed.

I would appreciate any advice or feedback on this matter.

Thanks

Rohit

http://travel.state....pes_1271.html#1

Petitions

Before applying for a temporary worker visa at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate abroad applicants must obtain an approved Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker from USCIS. This form must be submitted by your prospective employer at USCIS’sTemporary Workers webpage no earlier than 6 months prior to the proposed employment start date. Employers should file the petition as soon as possible within the 6 month period to allow adequate time for processing. Should you need petition processing faster, see Premium Processing Service on USCIS website. Once approved, the employer will be sent Form I-797, Notice of Action.

Important Note: The Form I-797 is no longer needed for your interview. However, to verify petition approval we will need your I-129 petition receipt number so please make sure to have this available.

Hi,

I am scheduled for my H1B visa extension interview at the Vancouver Consulate on Aug 3rd.

Last week, my original I797 was lost by the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles during the process of issuing the Canadian visa on my passport.

Is the original I797 required for the visa interview? Issuance of a duplicate document takes unto 6 months and I can't wait that long for the visa stamping.

One of the blogposts on internet mentioned that the document is no longer required since it is updated in the PIMS database available to the Visa Officer.

Please see below the guideline from the US Deptt of State which specifies requirement of only the I129 and states that I797 is no longer needed.

You don't need to send original 797 for canadian visa application.

By law you should have the original 797 with you and in order to make sure, VO will ask you to show the 797.

Archived