Reset of H1B time

abhishekk.ranjan

Hi,

I first came to US in Feb 2006 for company A and went back to India in June 2007. So I spent 1 years and 4 months in USA. While going back to India I applied for extension and got extension until Nov 2009. After one years and 3 months I came back to USA again with Company A on Oct 2008. I got an extension again on H1 until Mar 2012. I switched from company A to company B in Aug 2011 and got my visa extended till Apr 2013. During this period I spent 86 days out of USA as due to personal vacations.

I switched company from B to C in July 2012 and now my visa got extended till Dec 2014. Its approved by USCIS.

Per my calculations I should have gotten the final extension until Sept 2013 such that I complete six years in the current H1B.

Attorneys requested to extend my visa until Dec 2014 giving reason of more that more than one year spent outside of USA between 2007 and 2008. So new six years term should start from Oct 2008.

I dont have any problem with getting extension of one more year but I concerned whether it is per law or USCIS did it by mistake. If they did it by mistake will it cause any problem in applying for green card?

Please let me know at the earliest.

Any guidance on this regard is highly appreciated.

thank you,

Abhishek

Archived