return to US on visa expiring in 3 weeks without original I-797

ksv24

Hello Everyone,

Last time I was in India, I had gone for a visa interview and I got a 221-G (pink form). I eventually received my visa 5 weeks later. However, the visa is valid only for 2 years (until 29 Sep 2012) even though my work authorization is valid until 01 Sep 2013. My family (wife on H4, son is an U.S. citizen) and I are currently scheduled to travel to India & Indonesia and return on the 11 Sep 2012 i.e. just 18 days prior to visa expiry. Normally, this shouldn't be a cause for worry, but, I only noticed recently that I don't have the original I-797A (Notice of Approval), with validity until 01 Sep 2013. I do have a photocopy of the form and plan to apply for a duplicate of the I-797A (Form I-824). However, USCIS apparently takes about 3 months to process this application and so, even if I apply tomorrow, I will probably get it only by mid-October. Would it be advisable to travel with a certified (by our company's attorney) copy of I-797 prior to receiving the duplicate? The CBP officer at POE has never asked me for I-797 on my previous trips, but, I am worried he/she would on this trip as the visa will be valid for less than 3 weeks from the date of arrival in the U.S.

Your response is very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Its compulsory to always carry your original 797 copy even though you got lucky on your earlier visits. I was asked to show my original I-797 always at POE. Its better you request the duplicate sooner and travel once you have your duplicate copy., also I guess 18 days visa expiry should be fine to travel but pls check with your lawyer for a 2nd opinion too.

Archived