H1 extension (critical scenario)

curiousness

Hello everybody,

I am currently employed and my current employer holds my H1. But now, I am looking for switching to a different company.

I already received an offer letter from this another company and they would want to begin the extension process with the immigration office as soon as possible.

Let’s say I accept the current offer and they file for my H1 extension. Within a week or 10 days a Company X (that I might prefer over the offer that I have) offers me a job and wants to file for the H1 as well. But, at that point in time the other company’s H1 petition would be in a pending status at the immigration office.

Well this has two cases:

1. I am awaiting my H1 receipt and Company X wants to file for my H1.

2. I have the receipt and awaiting my I-797 and then Company X wants to file for my H1.

Questions:

A. What are the possible consequences for the aforementioned scenarios?

B. How will it affect my chances of getting into Company X?

C. In any of the cases would I have to be with the other company until I receive my H1 (might take a month or two) and then move to Company X?

I prefer being in Company X over the company that has just offered me a position and H1 extension. Not sure what should I do at this point in time. Wait or accept the offer and begin the H1 extension process with the undesirable company.

Thanks!

Archived