H1B- Layoff & Change of Status

Kitty1

I was on H1B and got laid off a week ago. While i am currently actively looking for jobs, in the meanwhile wanted to know if there is a particular time frame for which i can stay without status.

I am engaged and my fiancee is on H1B Visa in the US. Can i have a court marriage here and change my status to H4. Would that create any issues later since currently i have no status?

People have also mentioned about changing status to B2. What is more advisable in this case, changing status to B2 or H4?

Also, if i change my status to B2 or H4 and get a job and my employee is ready to sponsor H1, do i have to requalify for the 'H1 quota' or would it be just a simple change in status?

Thanks!

I was on H1B and got laid off a week ago. While i am currently actively looking for jobs, in the meanwhile wanted to know if there is a particular time frame for which i can stay without status.

- In this forum many times many people have mentioned, there is NO GRACE period to stay in US. Once out of job on H1B, from very next day you're out of status

I am engaged and my fiancee is on H1B Visa in the US. Can i have a court marriage here and change my status to H4. Would that create any issues later since currently i have no status?

- No Idea.

People have also mentioned about changing status to B2. What is more advisable in this case, changing status to B2 or H4?

- COS to H4 only applies to married couple not committed/engaged couple

Also, if i change my status to B2 or H4 and get a job and my employee is ready to sponsor H1, do i have to requalify for the 'H1 quota' or would it be just a simple change in status?

- That should be COS back to H1.

=> No. For any COS or extension, you need to be in-status. Because you are out of status for last one week; you don't have any option but to leave the US.

Archived