Lost my I-797, filed H1 transfer with copy of I-797, new firm asking for original I-797

ksri.ad

Hi All,

I have lost my original I-797. Most probably handed it over to visa officer and forgot to take it back.

I have joined a new firm who filed my H1 transfer with the copy of I-797 from my previous employer.

Now on first day at new firm the lawyer wants me to furnish original I-797 (I have I-94 detached from original I-797). He gave to 2 days to find and submit it.

I told him that there is a possibility I lost it. But he has no answer to that. H1 transfer has already been applied.

What can be done here. Is it necessary to furnish I-797 for continuing/joining new firm.

Thank you,

Sri

"What can be done here. Is it necessary to furnish I-797 for continuing/joining new firm."

=> No, it's never necessary. I797 is employer's property have they have all the rights to not to provide you the whole. Read it carefully, on I797A, its clearly mentioned that: tear the bottom part and give it to beneficiary. This part has receipt no and I94.

They are not 'required' to give you original top part. Show these lines to new employer. They shouldn't have any problem.

Archived