Stamping experience at Merida, Mexico

giri26

I got my visa successfully stamped in Merida, Mexico last week. I safely landed in the US this weekend and I wasn't asked any questions at the POE.

I stayed at the Fiesta Americana hotel in Merida which is about 10 minutes walk from the US Consulate. The visa stamping in Merida is a two step process. The first day we need to appear at the ASC for fingerprinting and Photo. I took a cab from the Hotel which cost me 50 pesos. There wasn't that many people at the ASC, so I was let in early. My appointment was at 10:30 AM but they let me in at 9:30 itself. The process was very fast and I was out by 9:45.

The next day I had the interview at the American Consulate at 11:00 AM. I reached there at around 10:10 AM. They let me in immediately. There was a lady who checked my appointment letter and the Passport and arranged the documents in order and sent us in with a token number. There I was sent to one counter where again the documents was verified and the person at the counter was typing away something on the screen.

Then I had to wait my turn to be called. There were 3 counters and they were calling based on the token number. I went to the middle counter where a tall guy with specs was there. I work in EC model and I am with the same company for 7 years. I am with the same client for 5 years and I had been to India for stamping in 2010. Here are the questions he asked,

What brings you to Merida?

What does your company do?

How long you have been with this employer?

What is your role at your client place?

How long have you been with this client?

You have done your masters in US, where did you go to school?

Which client did you work for prior to the present client?

Where in ---- state is your client located?

Finally after canceling all mine and my wife's old visas, he said "Your visa is approved and you can collect your passport tomorrow". I asked him if I can collect it the same day, he said I can try coming in at 4:0 PM. He did not ask for any documentation other than the I797 and I129. He did not ask any questions to my wife who was standing with me. The interview lasted for about 10 minutes. He was in between turning off the mike and talking to the fellow officers about my case. Don't know what he discussed. I collected my passport on the same day but had to collect my wife's the following day. The return flight was smooth and I wasn't asked anything at the port of Entry (Atlanta).

Please let me know if you have any questions.

• 5 months later...

giri26,

I am also planning to go to Merida for stamping in next 3 weeks with my wife and daughter (1.5 yrs old). We are also living in Atalnta and flights from Atlanta to cancun are lot cheaper than to Merida. So, planning to take a bus from Cancun to Merida. Can you please tell me how did you go to Merida? Also, How safe is Merida considering I have a toddler with me?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Shailendra

• 2 weeks later...

giri26,

I am also planning to go to Merida for stamping in next 3 weeks with my wife and daughter (1.5 yrs old). We are also living in Atalnta and flights from Atlanta to cancun are lot cheaper than to Merida. So, planning to take a bus from Cancun to Merida. Can you please tell me how did you go to Merida? Also, How safe is Merida considering I have a toddler with me?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Shailendra

I took the ADO bus from Cancun to Merida. Merida is extremely safe and so is Cancun. You don't have to worry about safety. Merida and Cancun is more of tourist spot, so there will be lots of Americans there and it is a very safe place to visit.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi,

I have a situation where i need some guidance.

1. I am currently working with company A. My i94 and H1b visa expired in July 2013. Company A filed for H1B extension well before i94 expired.

2. Company B applied for H1b Transfer and it got approved in September 2013.

3. Just after the approval of H1b Transfer, I got RFE on H1b Extension filed earlier by Company A.

4. Now, USCIS has suddenly moved both extension (company A) and transfer (approved for company B) in RFE status.

5. I am still working with company A.

6. But now my company B status is also showing Unapproved (RFE).

What are my options if i want to join company B?

Please help.

• 6 months later...

hi giri26, 

Did you have to return your i94 from your passport when you left US. I am seeing online that for under 30days vacation to Mexico it is not required to return the i94. But i am going for my visa stamping and wanted a new i94 with the expiration date of my new visa. Can you advice ?

Archived