Urgent (simple) question about Filing Fees

satch69

Hello wise ones,

I am applying to extend my status with the SAME employer, SAME job. In the data collection and filing fee exemption supplement, there is this question:

"Is this the second or subsequent request for an extension of stay that this petitioner has filed for this alien?"

Should I check "Yes"? And in that case, are we exempt from the 750/1500 filing fee? I.e. we only pay the I-129 petition fee?

Trying to submit this tonight so expedited responses are most appreciated.

thanks,

S

Doesn't your employer have a lawyer? It is their petition, you should be bothering with these details.

We are a law firm and we've petitioned for me before, successfully, without a lawyer. What rule says I can't help my boss with preparing the petition? This is the 2nd time, hence my original query about fees. Seems pretty straightforward to me, he only submits I-129 fees coupled with a statement along the lines of:

"We are exempt from the additional fees since this is a 2nd petition to extend from the same employer. Please see enclosed a copy of the approval notice form the previous petition."

"Thanks but that doesn't answer my question. My employer is a small business and we are BOTH concerned about H1B fees."

=> If your employer is unaware of H1b regulations/ laws better to refer them a lawyer. An employer unfamiliar to H1b laws can put your H1b status endanger anytime. Don't want to scar you but if your employer is too small, be prepared for more scrutiny/ RFEs. If an employer cannot pay to an immigration attorney, I doubt how they can pay salary to H1b employee/s all the time!

As livliv said, it's their property let them take care of this. Do you always take interest to take care of other's property?

It is not your concern, and your employer should consult with a lawyer.

I appreciate everyone's concern. I assure you we're not violating any laws. We are a small law firm and we've had a long business relationship over several years, he will also be processing my GC soon.

All I wanted was clarification on whether or not he has to pay the $750 based on the fact that this is the 2nd petition. I'm having some trouble understanding why this answer is not forthcoming, and instead I'm getting a push to hire an attorney, or stay out of the process. Why should he pay extra when he doesn't have to?

I appreciate everyone's concern. I assure you we're not violating any laws. We are a small law firm

Then you really should know better about posting such stuff on a forum.

The H1 is your employer's application, not yours. If there is an audit, any involvement from your side can cause a problem.

APPROVED!

I-94 and status expired on 6/8. Submitted self-prepared application on 6/15, with premium processing, and WITHOUT the $750 + $500 fees, and a letter of explanation.

Receipt date was Monday 6/18. Approval notice was emailed on Thursday, 6/21. I-94 extension granted, no need to leave country and get stamped.

Thanks to all (including the naysayers). Just goes to show that anything is possible if your company / petition is honest and legitimate. The system works!

Archived