H1B recapturing and cap restrictions

praneethk

I got my H1B in Jan 2011 and worked in the US for about 9 months in my H1B and then left the job and went back to India for personal reasons. I have been in India now for 8 months and am thinking about coming back to the US.

My questions are the following -

1) Can I come to the US on a tourist visa and attend interviews ? Will this affect my H1B that I had?

2) If I get a job, while in the US can I change from tourist visa to H1B directly without having to go out of the US ?

3) If I get a job now with a different employer who sponsors H1B, will I come under cap restrictions ?

4) How long will the new H1B be valid for ?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I got my H1B in Jan 2011 and worked in the US for about 9 months in my H1B and then left the job and went back to India for personal reasons. I have been in India now for 8 months and am thinking about coming back to the US.

My questions are the following -

1) Can I come to the US on a tourist visa and attend interviews ? Will this affect my H1B that I had?

Yes, no effect.

2) If I get a job, while in the US can I change from tourist visa to H1B directly without having to go out of the US ?

That is possible, but not encouraged.

3) If I get a job now with a different employer who sponsors H1B, will I come under cap restrictions ?

It will be cap-exempt.

4) How long will the new H1B be valid for ?

You will in total get 6 years minus 9 months.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

See above.

Archived