I94 expired

nithi2601

Hi,

Let me explain my situation first. My husbands H1 visa expired on 15 Aug 2011 but his employer extended only his H1 visa not included my h4 and i94. I was told that if his h1b visa is extended mine will be automatically extended, so

i stayed cool but yesterday I came to know that i have to extend my I94 separately, my H4 is still valid till 2016. I94 expired 20days ago. I dont know what to do know.Can you please help me with this? What I have to do know? can i apply extension staying back in US or have to go back to India.

And few more questions....

1. If i go back to India, whether I have to do re-stamping with his new 1797 approval or I can reenter without re-stamping as my h4 is valid till 2016 ?

2. If i go to re-stamping, whether they will raise the red flag for staying extra 20days after my i94 expired?

3. What procedure I have to follow to do restamping?

4. Whether I have to do same thing that I did first for stamping or different procedure?

5. While returning to India, will they (CBP) ask questions for staying more number of days after I94 exp?

Please help me... I m in panic condition know as I m 7mnths pregnant...

Thank you

Hello Nithi2601,

i have a very similar case as you have, hopefully any experts who respond to your case might be able to help me too so I am putting my case here also.

I have some answers to your questions, hope they will help you

And few more questions....

1. If i go back to India, whether I have to do re-stamping with his new 1797 approval or I can reenter without re-stamping as my h4 is valid till 2016 ?

- Yes you have to do re-stamping before entering US again. you need a valid visa stamped on your passport to enter US

2. If i go to re-stamping, whether they will raise the red flag for staying extra 20days after my i94 expired?

- not very sure but i have the same doubt and i am assuming they will question the overstay for sure.

3. What procedure I have to follow to do restamping?

- same standard procedure of taking apppointment and going to the embassy

4. Whether I have to do same thing that I did first for stamping or different procedure?

- it is the same process

5. While returning to India, will they (CBP) ask questions for staying more number of days after I94 exp?

- no questions are asked when you are leaving the country in general, you may not even face them

Scenario

I came in USA on a working Visa(H1-B) in 2003, got married in 2009 and my wife came with me on the a dependent Visa(H4). I was out of US for about 15 months from 2005-2006. My green card processing was initiated in May 2011 and PERM was approved in June and I-140 was approved last month.

My H1-B completed its designated 6 years in July-2011, an extension to this Visa was applied in May-2011 and there was a RFE(Request for Evidence) against it which was responded by the lawyers in Aug-2011 against the I-140 approval. Currently the Visa extension application is pending with USCIS and we are awaiting a response.

Along with my H1-B visa extension the lawyer did not file for my Wife’s H4 extension (I-539 form I guess) and hence she is out of status since July-2011.

what are the options:-

1. can we apply for my Wife H4 extension now? If yes how

2. as my H1 was expired before I-140 approval, will i get an H1 extension or not?

Archived