h1 - h4 transfer

testingwaters

I am currently on h1B. I started on h1b from October 2007. My current job end Mid July. My spouse is also on h1b.

I have some questions and will really appreciate any help and guidance:

1> I have not completed six years ( little short of five years) on h1b visa. If I go outside of US for 1 year will it reset my visa and will I be eligible for full a full six year visa on returning. When I want to return, can I apply for an h4, come to US, find a job and the employer applies for a new h1b? ( I think I will be subject to quota, but that will be ok if it is possible)

2> If I transfer to h4, will the time I spend on h4 count towards my six years on h1b? If I then move out for one year, since I have an approved h4 ( but I will be physically out of US for at least a year), will my h1 clock reset and then i can come back on h4 and get a new job?

3> If the time I spend on an h4 visa will count towards h1 time, can I transfer to a tourist visa and stay in US for up to six months and then move out (I really want to spend some time after my job ends with my spouse) before i have to go for a year to reset the clock on h1b. Will this reset the clock on my H1b?

Thanks for your help

Archived