H1B Visa Stamping - Short Story Long - Ottawa to Chennai

nut_case

Hello Guys,

Been a while since I came back to this forum and wanted to share some inputs on my visa stamping. I was working in US since 2 years, did a change of status from F1 to H1B and went for stamping to Ottawa in January. I was working on EVC model. Here is the excerpt from the interview (VO is the scary ****** guy as usual) –

Me: Good Morning how are you doing today?

VO : (Smiling) A very good morning to you. How are you?

Me: I am Fine

VO: What is your job.

Me: Explained

VO: You are going too fast. Can you please slow a bit.

Me: Slowed down and explained

VO: Is this your first time H1B Stamping.

Me: I was in COS F1 to H1B back in US and yes this is my first time H1B

VO: How long have you been working for current company?

Me : Answered.

VO: Where did you work previously.

VO: Can I see your I129, LCA and paystubs

Me: Would you also like the W2. I have the latest

VO: Sure. I appreciate that.

Me: Handed over all the documents ( Had submitted all client letters in the first counter itself before)

VO: Didn’t see any of my documents. Immediately took a White 221G and said we need further time and we are not sure how much time it takes.

Me: Sure. Thank you and left the place.

Not 1 hour has passed by and the client has already received the list of 8 questions from the neufield memo on the right to control – Employer Employee relationship questions.

The client (Business Director – Son of a b****) had promised that he would support as per the issued client letter but when the email came from consulate, he answered dead opposite - completely negating what he mentioned in the client letter. The fact is that he had given me assurance before and I went with that trust. Else I would have left a long time ago as I had other FT opportunities lined up. (My mistake to have trusted such a filthy A******)

Anyways I got to know this within the next few days as I received an email to come back to consulate for further processing. In most cases, when they send such an email asking you to come back it’s a point blank refusal. And as expected, the VO said that there are serious inaccuracies in the petition and we have to return to USCIS for reconsideration and gave me a vague letter that petition has “inaccurate information”. The A****** director at least allowed me to work from Canada for 1 month throughout feb till the team was struggling to find a replacement. As I had to go to India for my marriage, I left Canada and landed in March. Returned the bloody laptop as he was barking too much. The vendor inturn had promised me an offshore job till they could process my visa.

Meantime with all this tension during my marriage time and kinda jobless to tell relatives and friends kinda’ hmmm ohhh’ words, I was under a lot of pressure, reapplied for multiple opportunities. Got through 3 FT Companies in US with a lot of struggle. 1 company after a multiple skype interviews told that they need some time due to my current situation. So they took a week to decide and took the offer back and gave it to a local candidate. The other company in the final round said as I was in 221G and no idea if I can get through quickly and said they cant take the risk. The only 3rd company willingly took a risk as the client said they wanted me only or the project is off. Finally my H1B went through. Got approval in 3 days.

2nd H1B interview with wife on H4 - new Employer (Chennai) 4th Week of April– VO is a lady officer

Me: Good morning How are you doing.

VO : Good morning and smiled. Please pass me the docs

Me: Passed mine and my Wife docs.

VO: Scanned the DS160 confirmation. And continuously stared at the system for a long time. She kept reading reading and I was just looking at the clock through the window how much more time she might screw me. She was kinda strict with all applicants before me. Then she turned her face to me saw me and again back to screen.

VO: After a 2-3 minute pause, Were you refused a visa in Ottawa, Canada?

Me(Sigh): Yes, I was refused visa in January in Ottawa.

VO: (Became Pale faced and with concern) What happened?

Me: I told that the VO was somehow not convinced with the employer employee relationship and he said would need more time.I was called back and he told he needs to review my application and sending back to USCIS for reconsideration.

VO: I am a bit confused since I opened your record and its flashing all over your profile. I need some information from you.

Me: Sure. Please go ahead.

VO: Whats your Highest Degree?

Me: MBA from US University

VO: Is this company the same old petitioner or new company?

Me: No it’s a new employer.

VO: How about the client?

Me: Both the client and the company are entirely new and nothing to do with my old job.

VO: Laughingly asked – Are there any vendors now?

Me: I said smilingly seeing my wife. Of all the trouble and pain that I have gone through having vendors before you can expect that this is without vendors as my company has a direct MSA for the next 6 years or so.

VO: Smiled and asked for my LCA, I129.

Me : Gave those to her

VO: She reviewed all the pages of LCA and I 129 and asked whether in my previous job I worked for the client without doing amendment.

Me: I said No amendment was required as I had not changed the client at all and was with the same client since beginning. It was purely based on employer employee relationship that my visa was refused.

VO: Smilingly – How did you find this new job.

Me: A profile had opened online and I applied through this company’s website and the interviews got through during my marriage time in March. Also I have 5 yrs prior exp in this field and a right candidate / match for this post.

VO (To my wife) : When did you get married

Wife : Answered

VO: Can I see your photo albums.

Both : We held and showed it from the outside

VO: Beautiful. How long have you known each other

Me: 10 years it’s a love marriage

VO : Shockingly you havnt been able to get together over 10 years. Why so long.

Me: Due to the Indian tradition its difficult for southern & northern families to accept each other. It took time for us to convince our parents

VO: Did your parents finally make it to the wedding.

Me: Yes they did.

VO: Good. After a few seconds. Due to your Ottawa issue I need to check back something quick on this. Give me some time. (Left the desk)

Both : Waited patiently thinking that we have to look for other opportunities ASAP.

VO: The new petition is absolutely fine. I don’t see anything wrong with it. And I see you are a genuine candidate as you had F1 and B1 visa issued by us at the same consulate before. You also have a good academic record and you are a fit candidate. But we need to ascertain what the exact reason of rejection was with your Ottawa case and need to find out where the case stands as of now. If we get positive info from Ottawa we will issue the visa stamp on passports or we may need additional info.

She returned all the documents including original I797 and said – do you want me to hold your passports or submit later.

Me : I said you can hold it. Do you want my new client letter.

VO: No. I don’t need any further documents as I don’t need to cross check anything related to your new job. Normally it should take 3-5 business days to receive a response from Ottawa. But not sure about the exact time and took a 221G blue and handed it to us with a case number.

Both : Thank you and left.

We both left and went back to our hotel and I decided to join back in India with the old vendor company. And reported 1 week later. Informed new company and client said they can wait for 3 weeks for me and then they will decide what to do next. After 1 Week I got a status update in USCIS for post decision activity on my old refused petition sayng – “ DOS has requested that we review this application”. That was the day I had joined the old vendor company. Not even 3 days passed, I got an email from VFS saying passport is available for pickup. As I was in Chennai, I went to VFS in Chennai and collected the passport in hand saw both stamps (H1 & H4) with 3 years. Had to vacate my luxury guest house immediately as vendor was paying for temporary accommodation and resigned the very next day. The new company sponsored flight tickets for us. And back to US next week. No questions at all at port of entry.

We feel that the US is following a specific procedure for visa issuance. Trust me, its pure lame luck!!! And its all luck on that day. People doing some work at the backend may find out some facts which the VO might take positive or negative based on his/her mood. Many people (usually who want to get married) are going to Canada like me. I feel it’s a risk to go to stamping anywhere as you should be ready for a mandatory admin processing taking anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months or more. I know many who were interviewed on that day still don’t have their visas cleared! If at all you want to go to stamping I would say just go to India.

One thing I wanted to say though - The issue in Ottawa is once your petition is refused, they put a flag saying “Inaccurate Information”. This is misleading for other consulates as they feel inaccurate information could be a fraud documents from your end or so and they naturally have to do more verification to their satisfaction.

Also in forums like these we see more of negative comments. People who have issues only post comments. Now once visa is issued or has been successful, no one bothers to turn back like me and most others. I would say that forums are certainly helpful but not the decisive ones to keep worrying.

Thanks all for your valuable inputs!

Hello Guys,

Been a while since I came back to this forum and wanted to share some inputs on my visa stamping. I was working in US since 2 years, did a change of status from F1 to H1B and went for stamping to Ottawa in January. I was working on EVC model. Here is the excerpt from the interview (VO is the scary ****** guy as usual) –

Me: Handed over all the documents ( Had submitted all client letters in the first counter itself before)

VO: Didn’t see any of my documents. Immediately took a White 221G and said we need further time and we are not sure how much time it takes.

Not 1 hour has passed by and the client has already received the list of 8 questions from the neufield memo on the right to control – Employer Employee relationship questions.

The client (Business Director – Son of a b****) had promised that he would support as per the issued client letter but when the email came from consulate, he answered dead opposite - completely negating what he mentioned in the client letter. The fact is that he had given me assurance before and I went with that trust. Else I would have left a long time ago as I had other FT opportunities lined up. (My mistake to have trusted such a filthy A******)

Anyways I got to know this within the next few days as I received an email to come back to consulate for further processing. In most cases, when they send such an email asking you to come back it’s a point blank refusal. And as expected, the VO said that there are serious inaccuracies in the petition and we have to return to USCIS for reconsideration and gave me a vague letter that petition has “inaccurate information”. The A****** director at least allowed me to work from Canada for 1 month throughout feb till the team was struggling to find a replacement. As I had to go to India for my marriage, I left Canada and landed in March. Returned the bloody laptop as he was barking too much. The vendor inturn had promised me an offshore job till they could process my visa.

Meantime with all this tension during my marriage time and kinda jobless to tell relatives and friends kinda’ hmmm ohhh’ words, I was under a lot of pressure, reapplied for multiple opportunities. Got through 3 FT Companies in US with a lot of struggle. 1 company after a multiple skype interviews told that they need some time due to my current situation. So they took a week to decide and took the offer back and gave it to a local candidate. The other company in the final round said as I was in 221G and no idea if I can get through quickly and said they cant take the risk. The only 3rd company willingly took a risk as the client said they wanted me only or the project is off. Finally my H1B went through. Got approval in 3 days.

2nd H1B interview with wife on H4 - new Employer (Chennai) 4th Week of April– VO is a lady officer

VO: Scanned the DS160 confirmation. And continuously stared at the system for a long time. She kept reading reading and I was just looking at the clock through the window how much more time she might screw me. She was kinda strict with all applicants before me. Then she turned her face to me saw me and again back to screen.

Me: I told that the VO was somehow not convinced with the employer employee relationship and he said would need more time.I was called back and he told he needs to review my application and sending back to USCIS for reconsideration.

VO: I am a bit confused since I opened your record and its flashing all over your profile. I need some information from you.

Me: Both the client and the company are entirely new and nothing to do with my old job.

Me: I said smilingly seeing my wife. Of all the trouble and pain that I have gone through having vendors before you can expect that this is without vendors as my company has a direct MSA for the next 6 years or so.

VO: She reviewed all the pages of LCA and I 129 and asked whether in my previous job I worked for the client without doing amendment.

Me: I said No amendment was required as I had not changed the client at all and was with the same client since beginning. It was purely based on employer employee relationship that my visa was refused.

Me: A profile had opened online and I applied through this company’s website and the interviews got through during my marriage time in March. Also I have 5 yrs prior exp in this field and a right candidate / match for this post.

Me: Due to the Indian tradition its difficult for southern & northern families to accept each other. It took time for us to convince our parents

VO: Good. After a few seconds. Due to your Ottawa issue I need to check back something quick on this. Give me some time. (Left the desk)

Both : Waited patiently thinking that we have to look for other opportunities ASAP.

VO: The new petition is absolutely fine. I don’t see anything wrong with it. And I see you are a genuine candidate as you had F1 and B1 visa issued by us at the same consulate before. You also have a good academic record and you are a fit candidate. But we need to ascertain what the exact reason of rejection was with your Ottawa case and need to find out where the case stands as of now. If we get positive info from Ottawa we will issue the visa stamp on passports or we may need additional info.

She returned all the documents including original I797 and said – do you want me to hold your passports or submit later.

VO: No. I don’t need any further documents as I don’t need to cross check anything related to your new job. Normally it should take 3-5 business days to receive a response from Ottawa. But not sure about the exact time and took a 221G blue and handed it to us with a case number.

We both left and went back to our hotel and I decided to join back in India with the old vendor company. And reported 1 week later. Informed new company and client said they can wait for 3 weeks for me and then they will decide what to do next. After 1 Week I got a status update in USCIS for post decision activity on my old refused petition sayng – “ DOS has requested that we review this application”. That was the day I had joined the old vendor company. Not even 3 days passed, I got an email from VFS saying passport is available for pickup. As I was in Chennai, I went to VFS in Chennai and collected the passport in hand saw both stamps (H1 & H4) with 3 years. Had to vacate my luxury guest house immediately as vendor was paying for temporary accommodation and resigned the very next day. The new company sponsored flight tickets for us. And back to US next week. No questions at all at port of entry.

We feel that the US is following a specific procedure for visa issuance. Trust me, its pure lame luck!!! And its all luck on that day. People doing some work at the backend may find out some facts which the VO might take positive or negative based on his/her mood. Many people (usually who want to get married) are going to Canada like me. I feel it’s a risk to go to stamping anywhere as you should be ready for a mandatory admin processing taking anywhere between 2 weeks to 2 months or more. I know many who were interviewed on that day still don’t have their visas cleared! If at all you want to go to stamping I would say just go to India.

One thing I wanted to say though - The issue in Ottawa is once your petition is refused, they put a flag saying “Inaccurate Information”. This is misleading for other consulates as they feel inaccurate information could be a fraud documents from your end or so and they naturally have to do more verification to their satisfaction.

Also in forums like these we see more of negative comments. People who have issues only post comments. Now once visa is issued or has been successful, no one bothers to turn back like me and most others. I would say that forums are certainly helpful but not the decisive ones to keep worrying.

Congrats and appreciate your help in detail about the situation.

1)Could you let me know, how you dropped the old case (as I heard we need to drop our old case before applying new one )

2)How you searched for your new job staying in India.

Hello Guys,

Hi Congrats for the visa. Could you please answer me about these questions.

1) If client gave answers has we required by employer employee relationship that employer is responsible for all those 8 questions. Then chances of getting visa?

2) If received mail from consulate if we are in India can we come after a week?

3) How would the E-mail from consulate would be?

4) VO will again take interview for next time or he will just give the status?

Please answer these questions as i am in need..

@helpme221g

1) 100% chances of getting visa if EE relationship is in favor of your employer

2) You can come back upto 90 days ( I assume) after you received email from consulate.

3) I am not sure in your case. As you have passport in your hand. They mught be calling you just to get your passport so they can stamp visa

Usualy it starts with ... " In order to continue your visa processing, please return to embassy between 2-3PM tuesday or thursday...."

4) That depends. Mostly he won't, But I have seen cases where VO calls client in front of you just to make sure you still have the employment in hand before issuing you visa. You may expect that in your case. As you are in India and passport is with you,

In most cases if the passport is with them, and if EE response is positive, you will get a loomis update to collect passport from DHL. They won't ask you to come back at all.

Hope that helps!

Congrats!! to you both. Thanks for taking out time to post your experience. As Ravi pointed out could you also share the 8 questions sent out from the Embassy to your Client/Vendor. This would help the other people who are planning to attend the interview in near future.

Thanks,

MSR

• 2 weeks later...
@helpme221g 1) 100% chances of getting visa if EE relationship is in favor of your employer 2) You can come back upto 90 days ( I assume) after you received email from consulate. 3) I am not sure in your case. As you have passport in your hand. They mught be calling you just to get your passport so they can stamp visa Usualy it starts with ... " In order to continue your visa processing, please return to embassy between 2-3PM tuesday or thursday...." 4) That depends. Mostly he won't, But I have seen cases where VO calls client in front of you just to make sure you still have the employment in hand before issuing you visa. You may expect that in your case. As you are in India and passport is with you, In most cases if the passport is with them, and if EE response is positive, you will get a loomis update to collect passport from DHL. They won't ask you to come back at all. Hope that helps!

Hi @ nut_case

Can you please post your email id, I have few questions to ask on how to find a job. Kind of guidance needed.

Thanks!

Archived