H1B-New stamp vs New petition--out of status

user8291

All,

I am in a very tricky situation and would appreciate any help.

I was in the US until recently and unfortunately accumulated one month of out of status. I had a valid VISA during this period. (My visa is valid until 2013-july). Now , my new employer in India wants me to go to US on a new project. My previous employer has revoked my petition. My new employer is willing to file a new petition

My question is will I be required to go for a new visa stamping on my passport? If I do go for a visa stamping, what are my chances?

Would it suffice If my new employer files a new petition on my behalf and I don't go for a new stamp. In this case, I will continue to hold onto to an existing visa but with a new petition. Is this legal? Wouldn't my visa stamp be void, the moment my previous employer revoked my petition?

Would I run into any problems at port of entry? It will be great to know any thoughts on mitigating my risks.

If you have unexpired H1b visa you don’t need to get a new one, even if you change your employer.

You will use same visa with new I797 and employer letter at POE.

Thanks a lot wiweq.

Additionally,

1. Should I ask my employer and file for a consular processing? I am not fully aware if this applies to me?

2. And what are my chances here? I am expecting a RFE. Anything that I could state in my RFE to mitigate my risks. I am just being cautious(ironically in the aftermath!) here

Thanks a lot again

Archived