Alert- Dont wait until the last day for DL renewal

shaa

Friends,

I need to share this with you.

If you need to get your DL renewed , you better start working on it now( suggestion - at least 40 days in advance) to avoid any delays.

DMV, verifies the status of an applicant in it's SAVE verification system everytime one visits DMV for new license or renewal (I didnt know this before)

In my case, the system couldnt verify my wife's status in it's database because of some technical reason. DMV has sent the photocopies of her papers (e.g. I 94 etc) to USCIS by mail for verification with some form. This may take several days (up to 30 or more) to verify the applicant's status and then DMV will issue the DL. My wife wont get even temporary DL untill the process is complete.

This doesnt happen to eveyone but we never know. We overheard at DMV, there are increasing number of applicants recently going through the same situation.

If you have any similar expericne , please share .

I wonder if there is any way to get temporary DL untill the verification is complete.

here is the link for details

http://www.uscis.gov...0004718190aRCRD

Good luck !

"DMV, verifies the status of an applicant in it's SAVE verification system everytime one visits DMV for new license or renewal (I didnt know this before)"

=> The same thing happened with me last Oct in Nebraska state. Failed in SAVE process, and then did it manually. It took almost 15 business days. I couldn't drive for 3 days. There is nothing called temporary DL. I had asked about this to DMV people.

Friends,

Finally, we got the DL .

1. My wife called SAVE customer service. The officer on the phone didnt give her any answer on the status of our SAVE paper verification but asked for ALIEN number ( the number on EAD card).

2. Officer suggested us that we should mention the number on EAD (A #) as its the latest number and not the I -94 #.

3. We went back to DMV and showed our EAD, thats it. It passed SAVE verification and we got the DL.

We think, this might have happened in our case -

A # on EAD is the latest number and not the I -94 number, if SAVE verification is done using EAD then it appears that there is no problem with SAVE. If DMV chooses to verify the status using I 94 and not EAD , SAVE may not verify the status.

I think, it depends on what DMV uses to verify your status. I would suggest to use EAD, If you have receivd one.

Again, there may be some other reason for DL approval in our case but showing EAD to DMV helped us.

I hope this helps.

Archived