Green slip: Delhi Consulate

mc2012

Hello everyone!

I'have been working in US for last 2.5 years (on a stamped H1 visa) and came to India after changing employers on April 16,2012. The date on H1 is still valid (expiring on sep 18, 2012), however, I didnt know that I dont need visa stamping again for travelling. So I appeared for visa interview on April 17th 2012. My I-129 petition was missing some papers so the VO handed me green slip asking for more documents form my employer.

VO kept all the papers I presented at the time of interview along-with my PASSPORT. I submitted all the required docs a week later at the VFS center.

After going thru this forum, I understand that all the docs are usually sent back to USICS for verification which usually take 5-6 months or longer. However, My questions are:

1) why did they keep my passport, if this process takes so long? it means I cant even travel to any other part of the world for that time. Do they usually keep the passport too??

2) Should I apply for H1 transfer instead of waiting and can I do it without having my passport with me?

Please advice!!

thanks!

Steps:

1) First find out if they have actually sent your case back to USCIS

2) If yes, ask for your passport, mention you will return it if visa is approved

3) Re-file / transfer under a more direct / favourable setting i.e. client or at least vendor (EC)

4) Withdraw old case by sending email to VO

5) Re-appear for Visa with new petition

i would say, reading from your post, its not clear, what they exactly asked for? you have mentioned I129 papers missing. This is the main application. The forum users does not know what work model you work in, are you working directly for that employer (then this would be resolved soon). Are you working at a client site through your employer (in this case I129 should state the place of work of client and not your employer...if this is missing, its a big problem, a refiling of I129 is needed)....if you are working as employer -vendor & end client model, the Embassy might go over the entire peition and this can cause trouble, not necessarily true though.

But in either cases as stated above, try to follow up with embassy, by email through your company lawyer. and then decide if you need new work offer

Archived