H1B issued for one year only

kattu786

Recently I applied for an H1B transfer from Company A to Company B.The transfer got approved but with an RFE.The petition got approved just for one year only.....

When I asked the attorney she told that they requested for 3 years but there is a recent trend that for RFE cases USCIS is granting the petition for one year only....Is this really happening

My understanding was that CIS will issue the visa for the number of years petitioner asks for.Mine is not the case of a vendor-employee but I would be working as a FT employee

'When I asked the attorney she told that they requested for 3 years but there is a recent trend that for RFE cases USCIS is granting the petition for one year only....Is this really happening'

It's not like only RFE cases are getting one year validity. My H1b was cleanly approved for one year only with no RFE.

More H1bs means more money to USCIS, more jobs at USCIS, more money by stamping, more jobs at consulates, less probability of maintaining H1 status and thus stimulus to local job market.

Though, I never seen FTE getting one year H1b approval.

Its upto to USCIS discretion how long they approve the petition for.

This is very common in EVC model today but have not seen the same incase of FTE.

You can go back and ask them.

Sorry....I think I put it in a wrong way....I am not an employee of client.I would be employed with company X and X would placed me at a client site....There are no layers in between the employer and client...

Few of my friends got their H1 transferred like this (in EC model) and they got it for 3 yrs....

This is completely upto the USCIS to decide the length of the H1B. Genrally in EVC it depends on the dates mentioned on the Client/Vendor letter. In some cases i have seen number of people getting 1 year even if the dates mentioned are 3 years. Some of colleagues who filed for extension all got a 1 year but mine is new H1 and i got it for 3 years with the same paperwork.

Sorry....I think I put it in a wrong way....I am not an employee of client.I would be employed with company X and X would placed me at a client site....There are no layers in between the employer and client...

Then you are working for a consulting company in EC model.

As I said before, CIS nowadays often approves H1s from consultants for the duration of the contract only.

Few of my friends got their H1 transferred like this (in EC model) and they got it for 3 yrs....

Company X probably showed the workorder/SOW for only 1 year.

'When I asked the attorney she told that they requested for 3 years but there is a recent trend that for RFE cases USCIS is granting the petition for one year only....Is this really happening'

It's not like only RFE cases are getting one year validity. My H1b was cleanly approved for one year only with no RFE.

More H1bs means more money to USCIS, more jobs at USCIS, more money by stamping, more jobs at consulates, less probability of maintaining H1 status and thus stimulus to local job market.

Wiweq,

Were you working on the EC/EVC model.Since you only got it for one year I assume you would have filed for ext.Were there any issues you faced for H1 extension in the future for the same company.

"Wiweq,

Were you working on the EC/EVC model.Since you only got it for one year I assume you would have filed for ext.Were there any issues you faced for H1 extension in the future for the same company.

"

=> Either your same employer files H1b or different employer. If your previous status was H1b, in both cases, it’s H1b extension. Employer need to prove that they have legit work for the beneficiary (in both cases).

• 2 years later...

Rightly said

USCIS is making $5000 out of you every year this way .... 

Rightly said

USCIS is making $5000 out of you every year this way .... 

Wrong.

The employer has to pay the fees.

And first, it's not $5K, and second, that's pocket change for an employer (maybe except for some fly-by-night operator.) And third, the employer can deduct it from the company taxes as business expense.

Wrong.

The employer has to pay the fees.

And first, it's not $5K, and second, that's pocket change for an employer (maybe except for some fly-by-night operator.) And third, the employer can deduct it from the company taxes as business expense.

well whatever way you take it but eventually money does go out of your salary

Eventually these kind of costs would discourage employer to hire H1B or pay them less

Remember even if you are seeing big billion dollar companies, they have too many H1B employees

well whatever way you take it but eventually money does go out of your salary

Eventually these kind of costs would discourage employer to hire H1B or pay them less

Remember even if you are seeing big billion dollar companies, they have too many H1B employees

It is not coming out of the beneficiaries' salary. That's prohibited. Please educate yourself about the laws.

And if it discourages shady consulting companies to file H1s, that would be a good development.

Find a real employer, not some shady consulting company.

As I said, these fees are pocket change for an employer, even more so for multi-billion dollar companies.

Archived