Call from INS/DHS

kg19rao

Hi

I received a call from Officer X with the DHS to verify my employment with a Company Y. I actually missed her call but she left me a voicemail asking me to call her back asap at her office or her cell phone. I could not reach her at her office hence i called her on her cell phone. She asked me some basic questions (listing below based on my memory)

1. When did i begin employment at this company?

2. Do i have a masters degree? What major and which university?

3. What is my pay?

4. Do i get paid monthly/bi-weekly?

5. Who is my first line supervisor and what is his contact number?

6. My contact number and she specifically asked for a business number.

7. Who paid the fees for my H1b?

8 Is my company sponsoring permanent residence?

9. Do i have an approved I140?

10. What stage am i currently in i.e. awaiting a priority date?

She also asked me send her via email a copy of my work-id, copy of DL/id, copy of the last 3 pay stubs and a brief description my job duties.

I asked her what this is about and she told me that all H1b's are being verified by phone or by personal visit.

Does anyone know of H1b verification via phone? I am not sure how to proceed. My company attorney has not responded yet.

Can anyone share their knowledge/experience on this?

Thanks

In my view, this is the routine check by USCIS/ ICE guys in random order. That's why it's important to be aware of h1b regulations and do follow them. If you are following all those regulations, the life would be easier.

thanks folks, i have been in compliance with all regulations. Only thing is that i work from home quite a few times even though i have an office space since it gets noisy on the floor sometimes or i work out of a conference room in another building on the campus if i cannot find a vacant one in my building. If there is a site visit and the officer cannot find me will i be notified? or is there any way to know i missed a site visit?

" If there is a site visit and the officer cannot find me will i be notified?"

=> They will first contact with your HR or security. They know the seriousness of immigration matters. They will find out you. Just work there where your cellphone receives good signal :)

Archived