Cap gap question.

akKIRA

Hi ,

My opt will expire in June 2013 and I am planning to apply H1 on april2013.

Can I use my cap gap for 3 and half months ?

I did not work from jan 2011 to march 2011 on my opt .. I was searching for jobs will that effect my cap gap period.

Thank you

Generally, if an individual is valid F-1 status and working pursuant to OPT when an H1B cap-subject petition is filed on his/her behalf with an October 1st start date for the coming fiscal year, that individual will be provided protection pursuant to the Cap-Gap provisions if the OPT work authorization expires between the H1B filing and October 1st. That protection will extend to October 1st unless the H1B petition is denied. If the H1B is denied, the individual will still be eligible for the F-1 60 day grace period. As a general rule, those on post completion OPT may accrue up to 90 days of employment without negative consequences to their status, and those on 17-month STEM OPT are allowed up to 120 days of unemployment. For a further discussion regarding your personal circumstances, please contact a qualified U.S. immigration attorney. You may also find additional information on the following Murthy Law Firm link: http://www.murthy.com/news/n_faqopt.html

Archived