I-94 while travelling to canada, automatic revalidation

sunnypaji

I entered US on F-1 status, changed status to H-1B. Since then, I have never travelled outside US. I am planning to go to Canada and take a cruise to Alaska. I am not applying for visa interview and am intending to use automatic revalidation to board the ship and enter US.

My questions

1) Should I be submitting my old I-94 when I fly from US to Canada? I understand that the one which I received along with I-797 (with H-1B status) has to be shown to CBP officers while boarding the cruise. I am concerned that while taking the flight from US to Canada, the flight staff would ask for I-94.

2) My H-1B status is expiring on June 30th. I am a physician in training and my residency program has applied for extension. I am boarding the cruise on May 28th. I might not have the new extension with me by that time. Should I anticipate any problems because of that?

Thanks in advance.

• 3 years later...

Hi Sunnypaji,

This is a really old post so I hope this finds out. Did you have any problem getting back to USA using the automatic re validation program?

I am in the same boat. I traveled to Canada while my extension was in process and now it is approved and I am planning to travel back under the automatic visa re validation program. My employer will be mailing me the new I94 in Canada. 

I am debating whether I should take a visa interview date in advance. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Archived