Passport expirying in 2 years; am I eligible for 3 year visa extension?

dubevipi

My current visa is valid till Sep-12 and my passport is expiring in Dec-2014. I am currently I am in the process of applying for the visa extension. I am eligible for 3 year extension. So my question is does my passport expiry date affect the eligibility of extension? Should I renew my passport before applying for visa extension? I am not sure if consulate will renew my passport if more than 2 years are still remaining.

Any suggestion will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

You will not face any issues in getting H1B approval for 3 years from USCIS nor getting visa when attending in any consulate. But sometimes, you may not get I-94 for all the 3 years period when you re-entry to United States (if you go out of USA). Becoz I too faced same issue, when I returned from Mexico after getting visa stamped, thought my I-797 and visa are for 3 years, Border Security didn't gave me I-94 for all 3 years whereas my passport is about to expire in an year and half. But lateron when I visited India and in return ORD Airport (Chicago) immigration authorities @ port of entry gave me I-94 for 3 years i.e., till my I-797 and visa validity.

Archived