Looks like my lawyer has gone rogue.

H1hitch

Here are the events in chronological order:

My H1 is up for renewal...6th year renewal. The first H1 term was for 2 years. The lawyer successfully applied and got the first extension (3 years)

The same lawyer applied for the second extension. But, this time the lawyer attached someone else's cover letter on the extension form...actually copied and pasted someone else's cover letter. Actually, my bad...I trusted this guy thinking that he's applying for the second time...and therefore never reviewed the cover letter.

After 3-1/2 months of waiting I received an RFE justifying the discrepancy on the cover letter and the actual form details.

I called-up the lawyer and asked him to look into the RFE. He acknowledged that there was an oversight on his part, and he's going to send the require letter and list of items needed to answer the RFE. Its been more than a month since I received the letter. I've been calling his office and can't get him on the phone. He's either busy or not in the office. I've been sending emails but he never replies.

Any suggestions or thoughts are highly appreciated.

RFEs have 84 days to for a response, so if it has only been a month, at least there is still enough time to respond.

Despite popular misconceptions, lawyers are people, too. So, it could be that the lawyer is having some issues that are having an impact on the quality of the work and the response times etc.

The employer should be contacting the attorney. If something is going terribly wrong with the lawyer, request the company to allow a change of attorneys. Keep the RFE deadine in mind. Also, keep in mind that the H1 filing for an extension via the existing employer allows authorization to work for 240 days.

Attorney_6: Can the company file the reply without involving the lawyer? The RFE is pretty straight forward. We have all the documentation supporting our claim.

If you are an attorney then you should know how small businesses work. Changing an attorney is a real big deal.

Is there a bar council kind of a body that has an oversight on the immigration lawyers?

Archived